1652 North Decatur Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
Fishburne Parking Deck
Glenn Auditorium is used jointly by Emory as an auditorium and by Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church as a sanctuary. It holds 1200 people, and from the time of its opening in 1931 until 2003, Glenn was used as available as the primary performance and rehearsal venue for music.
In 1930, a decision was made to build a beautiful new sanctuary on the campus. As plans unfolded, the members learned that the new building would be a memorial to the Reverend Wilbur Fisk Glenn, an Emory alumnus who for fifty years had been a Methodist minister and a leader of the church in the South. The principal donors were Dr. Glenn's children, Thomas K. Glenn, chairman of the board of the new First National Bank; his sister, Flora Glenn Candler; and her husband, Charles Howard Candler, Sr.
On October 4, 1931, the congregation held its first service in the new building. A university publication reported, "At last the campus and the community have a real church edifice in which to worship, and for a few years, at least, Emory will have an auditorium large enough to accommodate its graduation exercises, musical concerts, and lectures."
Annual events held in Glenn Auditorium include A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, University Organist Recital Series concerts, and The Richard Ellmann Lectures in Modern Literature.
Plan an Event
This space is available for restricted rental. Find out how to rent this space.